Did you know that Girl Scouts USA actively partners with Planned Parenthood? The national organization has known ties to big abortion and readily promotes pro-abortion groups and activists. For this reason, Good Counsel, joins the many pro-life groups who have banded together to launch a boycott of the sale of Girl Scout cookies, including LifeNews, the American Life League, the Pro-Life Action League, the Radiance Foundation, blogger Jill Stanek, the National Black Pro-Life Union, Issues4Life Foundation, and Life Coalition International.
By lending our support and voice to “CookieCott2014,” Good Counsel aims to focus attention on Girl Scouts USA and just how un-woman, un-girl, they actually are.
The recently launched CookieCott 2014 website explains…
“Why Should You Be Concerned?
Girl Scouts USA (GSUSA) recently promoted pro-abortion politicians, Senator Wendy Davis and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, as women to be honored for their accomplishments in 2013. Many other pro-life concerns exist about the Girl Scout organization including:
- GSUSA, with over 2 million girl members, maintains relationships with many pro-abortion advocacy groups.
- Girl Scouts’ curriculum for girls, sold and promoted by every local Girl Scout council, recommends pro-abortion role models/organizations such as Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinem, Geraldine Ferraro, Hillary Clinton, Amnesty International, Population Council, ACLU, National Organization For Women (NOW) and others.
- GSUSA and local Girl Scout councils connect girls to resources promoting abortion rights and inappropriate sexual content via official Girl Scout social media accounts.
- Across the country, local Girl Scout councils honor and promote abortion rights advocates and pro-abortion politicians; suggest girls work with organizations that fight for abortion on demand; and invite girls to attend events related to abortion rights advocacy and other controversial issues.
- GSUSA is the largest member organization of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), making up one-third of its 10 million members worldwide and paying approximately 1.5 million dollars annually to WAGGGS based on the number of registered GSUSA members.
- WAGGGS, which states that “anyone who is a Girl Guide or Girl Scout is automatically a member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts,” aggressively promotes youth reproductive/abortion and sexual rights, specifically on behalf of its 10 million members.”
Where does the cookie money go? CookieCott.com explains…
- A girl’s troop keeps an average of just 10 to 20 percent of the money she collects from selling cookies.
- The local council receives an average of 65 to 75 percent of the money collected by all local troops.
- GSUSA collects a royalty payment based upon their licensed trademark on every box of cookies produced. Consider that 200 million boxes of cookies are sold annually and the cookie licensing payments account for 5 to 7 percent of GSUSA’s budget. This amounts to upwards of 5 million dollars in funding for GSUSA every year.
At Good Counsel, we can’t help but wonder about what “upwards of 5 million dollars” could do for organizations such as ours, and the thousands of other pregnancy centers and maternity homes across the country.
Good Counsel emphatically endorses the cookie boycott for all of the reasons mentioned above, but also because we see firsthand, every single day, that abortion is not the only option. Life is an option! Life should be the only option.
What can you do? Visit www.cookiecott.com for ways to make your voice known.
Instead of spending your money on cookies – please consider donating to Good Counsel!