A great place to work!
Good Counsel is a family for those in need, serving God who is the father of the orphan, defender of the widow, and who gives the lonely a home (Psalm 68).
Good Counsel works diligently to help homeless pregnant women to safely have their babies and provide shelter and comprehensive support for them and their children. The women at Good Counsel gain the knowledge, skills, and confidence to be good mothers, capable of supporting their families in stable independence. This typically takes 12 to 15 months for each mother to complete the program and graduate. During this time Good Counsel provides meals, transportation, coordination of medical assessment and treatment for mothers and children, counseling, and especially Life Skills Training.
We are actively seeking candidates for the following positions:
Staten Island, NY
Actively seeking passionate house manager able & willing to oversee Good Counsel’s home, caring for pregnant & parenting mothers with children. Creative, caring, compassionate person will supervise employees, oversee all aspects of daily activities and other related duties. Ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in Human Services or related field, or two to four years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience plus driver’s license.
Seeking a compassionate and highly efficient team player to assist in the maintaining of a positive social, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual living environment for pregnant mothers and their children.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Attending to resident needs and helping to resolve issues
- Teaching and advocating for the resident when necessary
- Monitoring the facilities in order to ensure resident safety and security
- Participate in the proper operations of the home by enforcing house rules and policies
- Preparing reports and maintaining appropriate documentation, as required
- Facilitate multiple Life Skill courses for residents based on needs
- Overseeing congregate activities, such as meal times and life skill classes
- Coordinating community service hours and other activities
- Tracking residents, visitors, and volunteers within the home
- Assisting with kitchen operations and clean-up as needed
- Referring crisis situations or complex issues to the Supervisor
Actively seeking a highly efficient and organized team player with mental health experience to assist in the support, management, and successful progression of pregnant women with mental health and/or substance abuse disorders via Case Management services. Job description:
- Conduct effective weekly one-on-one sessions with each resident utilizing the family development goal setting technique in conjunction with weekly goal setting from each resident on your case load
- Assist women with retrieval of entitlement benefits (SSI, SNAP, Public Assistance)
- Coordinate consistent medical and psychiatric care
- Provide crisis management for clients; makes linkages for interventions as appropriate
- Timely completion of weekly progress notes and necessary assessments
- Consistently exercises discretion and confidentiality
- Assist residents in setting and achieving their individual goals. By personal example, demonstrate a moral and ethical life style
- Assist in maintaining requested occupancy rate in the home
- Attend resident, house and stewardship meeting (s) as necessary
- Maintain professionalism and confidentiality in all tasks
- Participate in scheduled trainings and or seminars
- Participate in social activities with the residents and their children in the home
- Maintain open communication and discussion with supervisor on status of every resident in caseload
- Accompany all mothers on assigned caseload during delivery period as per GC mission
- Ensure residents make and keep necessary appointments, accompany said resident when necessary
- Ensure all residents apply for and are receiving all entitlements benefits within the first 45 days of stay within Good Counsel
- Participate in scheduled case conference by reporting on the status and progress of each resident on your case load
- Teach personal financial management and career development individually to residents
- Provide career development skills training to clients on your case load which includes but not limited to resume writing and interviewing technique
- Complete SPOA and/or HRA Applications per resident for housing referrals as necessary
- Develop an appropriate discharge plan with each resident on your case load to ensure a smooth transition from Daystar to independent living with available mental health support
The ideal candidate will possess the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Family/Consumer Sciences, Child Development, Substance Abuse, mental health, human services, Education, Criminology, Counseling, Therapy or other related fields.
- Knowledge and skills in community and residential based behavioral health care and case management preferred
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible scheduling required to assist mother’s during delivery.
- Valid NYS Driver’s License
Please contact Angelica Vargas at firstname.lastname@example.org for job description and details.
Please submit resumes to: email@example.com.
Good Counsel Homes, Helping Mothers & Babies since 1985.