What would you do with half a million dollars?
Would you pay for a family member or friend to earn a college degree? Make upgrades to your home? Plan for your future?
Good Counsel is thrilled to announce a grant award from the William E. Simon Foundation for $290,000 with an additional $100,000 dollar-for-dollar match for increased individual donations!
With your help, that amount could quickly turn into almost half a million dollars for a total of $490,000!
So, how will Good Counsel use this generous grant award?
1. Pay for a staff member to continue their education and earn a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree – tuition, fees, and books included!
2. Upgrade the Bronx home – our largest and oldest home will be upgraded inside and out; new furniture, repairing the staircases throughout the home, upgrading the bathrooms, power washing the outside, fresh coats of paint inside, and adding security cameras to keep staff, moms, and babies safe.
3. Plan for the future by investing in staff through ongoing training and credentialing programs and promoting stand out employees.
Of course, a portion of the grant award will directly help our mothers, as always.
Half a million dollars is a lot of money, even life-changing. At Good Counsel, we change the lives of pregnant mothers everyday. But that work would not happen without our dedicated staff. Many mothers who have gone through the program tell us that the house managers, case managers, and resident advisors become mother figures for them.
Here are just some of the things Good Counsel staff does for our mothers:
1. Weekly one-on-one sessions with each mother.
2. Assist mothers with retrieving entitlement benefits.
3. Coordinate consistent medical and psychiatric care.
4. Provide crisis management.
5. Assist mothers in setting and achieving their individual goals.
6. Create social activities with the mothers and their children in the home.
7. Accompany all mothers during delivery.
8. Ensure mothers make and keep necessary appointments.
9. Teach personal life skills, financial management & career development.
10. Develop an appropriate discharge plan with each mother to ensure a smooth transition to independent living.
Good Counsel has also become a second home to many of our staff. More than half of the team (66%!) have been employed by Good Counsel for over ten years. The bond between the mothers and our team is very special and enduring.
Will you support Good Counsel by making a gift that will be doubled by the match from the Simon Foundation?
Join our email list and receive inspiring stories about our moms and babies, events at Good Counsel, and different ways you can support our mission.